Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Boss

I ran by my boss' office yesterday on my way out of the hospital to let her know I couldn't work the next day. She began inquiring what I do with my other job. After telling her I am self-employed she asked if I was married. I confirmed I am. She asked why I couldn't get on my husbands insurance. I said "because in the state of TN, I can't get on HERS". Her jaw dropped and she said "I didn't know you were GAY!!!" She is gay, too, so I knew it would be "okay" to tell her. That started a 30 min chit-chat of getting to know each other a little better.

That part that bothered me, tho, is after she said she didn't realize I am gay, she said "oh you must be the girl!" and burst into laughter. I thought about this several times throughout the evening. Why the fuck WOULDN'T I be the girl? I don't get that statement, question, or whatever the hell it is. I would never dream of telling one of my male co-workers "oh!! you must be the dude in your relationship!" He would probably look at me with some crazy-talk eyes!

Can you tell me the point of POINTING out to me that I must be the girl in my relationship? Is it a judgement call? Is it to make ME feel better? or YOU? Couldn't there be something else said like perhaps "oh that's great!!" rather than pointing out some feminine or masculine quality about either of our looks?

Just.Plain.Weird.

Anywho...I'm glad the boss is cool with me being married to a girl. Am I just looking for something to bitch about? Not really...it truly does bother me when people say things like that. It goes back me saying I'm not "gay" enough for my Wife. She says I have no reason to think that...but I still do. I wonder how many femme lesbians are out there?


No comments:

Post a Comment