Thursday, August 11, 2011

Holy Money and all things California...

I saw a tweet from money-guru Suze Orman asking if anyone would be interested in being on her new show on OWN this fall. I clicked on the link and a list of categories appeared. #2 was for same sex couples. I clicked. A form appeared asking basic demographics then a square informing me I could enter maximum 2000 words telling my story. So...I started typing. I typed our story...I typed how my Wife and I struggle wanting a baby but we want to be smart and make sure we can afford one first. I gave our income and expenses. I hit "submit".

Yesterday evening I receive a VM from "Annie" from the Suze Orman show on OWN and she loved our story and wanted to talk to us some more. I called her back immediately after dinner. Oh wait...I jumped up and down for about a minute and squealed a bit as I ran to the other room to tell my Wife. THEN we ate dinner and I called her afterwards.

Annie asked me many questions about our income and expenses, why we wanted a kid, and asked me to email her a photo of us. Before we hung up she did a quick run down of our income vs expenses and asked where the $1800/month leftover after bills was going. I didn't have an answer.

I immediately went to our online banking and began writing down our bills. After all was said and done, we have $950 left over. That's what we have to play on for daycare, diapers, groceries, gasoline, and any "fun" money. Ummm....that's NOT going to work with kids!!

I emailed Annie a breakdown of each monthly expense and our incomes.

This evening we got a phone call from Jeffrey...with the Suze Orman Money Class show...for OWN...telling us they love our story and wanted to know if they could ask more questions. I spoke with him about 40 minutes then he asked to speak to my Wife. We both answered questions about our finances, then he told my Wife he wanted to talk to Annie again and could he call us right back. She asked if he could wait about 30 (I was cooking dinner as I talked to him). He said that would be fine and gave us his number to call him.

I gulped my dinner down (perfect for my digestive issues I'm having) and called Jeffrey back. He said most of the questions would be redundant from the previous conversation but he would also ask some psychological questions....have you ever killed yourself, thought about it, mental medication, etc. NO NO and NO. He asked my Wife the same questions then ended the conversation telling her he was going to pitch our story to Suze tomorrow or Monday and they would be in touch with us. O.M.G. !!! It's unfathomable that he's going to talk to Suze Freakin Orman about US!!! I read one of Suze's books YEARS ago...like 8-10 years ago. I've always enjoyed watching her show and seeing her approve or deny people crazy things. And I think the SNL skit about her is one of the funniest EVER.

I'm SO excited about this. I just can't believe it. Even if we don't end up on the show...it's still cool they thought we were interesting enough to call back TWICE. I feel like I'm in a beauty pageant waiting to get "called back" to see if we are "good enough".

Before my Wife got off the phone with Jeffrey, I got an email from Annie asking for more close up pictures of us. I guess they want to make sure we aren't ugly people before they have us come to LA and put us on NATIONAL TELEVISION!

#hard2sleep

The bigger question....can we afford a baby??? What if Suze tells us to sell our house...sell our car...quit going to Starbucks once a month, etc. Am I willing to give up some of the things that make me happy for the life we would have with a baby?

1 comment:

  1. So fun! And how great to have a professional help you think through these financial decisions.

    I've been baby crunching numbers, and the delivery and prenatal care alone (even though we have insurance)will end up costing us about $4000, assuming a healthy baby. It's really something, but I guess all of the early sacrifices help prepare us for 18 more years of putting a child before ourselves.

    Hope you get to be on the show!

    ReplyDelete