Friday, May 13, 2011

Honeymoon in the Big Apple


We took the hour long train ride to Grand Central Station. What a beautiful evening. The sky had a mix of clouds with the sun setting and it looked "heavenly" outside. It was the kind of sky after it has rained all day, and everything looks brighter and more crisp. Beautiful.

We hopped off the train and walked back to our hotel. We were going to taxi it because we had luggage but after we began walking, we figured we might as well keep going as we were only a few blocks away. We checked into the hotel, the Algonquin. What a nice boutique hotel! It was much nicer than the one I had previously stayed in, and several square feet larger. I could actually raise my arms above my head in the shower to massage the shampoo into my hair. We changed clothes. I put on the dress (several posts below) with the champagne ruffles and my Wife put on her suit. We took a taxi ride to the restaurant (Quality Meats) as it was too far to walk in heels. The restaurant was super cool inside. Three levels, thousands of bottles of wine, and lovely romantic ambiance. I ordered wine and my Wife ordered a beer. We split the fillet as we didn't see any appetizers that grabbed our attention. We had read reviews about the cream corn brulee and Parmesan gnocchi. Both were to die for!! So delicious. The steak was "okay", but I have certainly had better. For dessert we split a chocolate banana bread pudding with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a sauce that was oooey gooey goodness. We had stated in our online reservations we were celebrating our wedding night. What I assume was the manager, brought us a complimentary bottle of champagne! I do not care for champagne, but the gesture was appreciated.
We went back to the hotel and decided we wanted another drink. We went into the hotel bar (The Blue Bar) and were seated promptly by a scottish bartender. What a jovial fellow! After our first drink, we were warmed up to him and told him it was our wedding night. The evening manager brought us a bottle of red wine, on the house! Sweet!! He also told us we could have breakfast brought to our room the next morning...I think we were drinking a bit much to remember to order it. We made friends with another couple standing at the bar from Arkansas. We talked to them for a long time, then stumbled our way to our room.

I'll leave out the TMI details, but, there was nothing disappointing about our wedding night.

We set the alarm to go to the Today show, but when the buzzer sounded, we turned the tv on and realized all the Today show news crew were either in London for Will & Kate's wedding, or in Alabama, covering the tornado damage. We rolled back over and went to sleep for a couple of more hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment